7 Feb 2020

Five Minute Friday [10] - Deep Breaths


The busier one gets, the harder breathing gets. Your thoughts get all jumbled up, like a tower of jenga blocks that was knocked over whereas before it was neatly stacked and in order. You struggle to sleep without dreaming about stressful things, you struggle to take time to enjoy small and simple things, like the way the garden smells after it's just rained. You feel like you're in a cartoon sometimes, you being the character whose legs are spinning until they blur as you run to keep up with everything you need to keep up with.

But. Just. Stop a second.

See those clouds in the blue sky? What shape are they, if you're using your imagination properly? And when last did you give a real, tight hug to somebody you love? Go for a walk, take a cold shower if it's hot or a hot shower if it's cold. Write in your journal. Wake up early enough to hear the birds singing as you read your Bible to prepare yourself for the day ahead. Sing when you're washing dishes. Sit on a swing bench once in a while. Read a good novel. Play with a toddler if you're able to. Smile freely. Listen patiently to others when they have stories to tell you, show them love.

Yes, you're busy. But sometimes...slowing down is good for you. Take those next steps. but don't forget to take those deep breaths.

(Another five minute piece that might seem personal, because, well...it is. But, if you're also struggling with the fast paced flow of this life, I can testify that these small ideas or other similar actions that one can take really do help)

What do you do to calm down when you find yourself feeling swamped by everything going on?

6 comments:

  1. OH MY WORD.
    Great minds, am I right?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I've been rather stressed lately and this was a perfect reminder I just need to slow down and do something slow. I keep trying to cram my free time with relaxing productive things and I've gotten out of the habit of just slowing down and doing something small. I need to just go sit and watch the clouds sometime.
    Thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad! I know that feeling. I hope you're able to find yourself doing just that when you next have the chance ♥ Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Wow Tane, love love loved this. Can totally relate haha. Honestly, when I need to just calm down, I watch Gilmore Girls or youtube. Lovvvvved this!!
    http://accordingtoisabellakate.blogspot.com
    -Izzy

    ReplyDelete

hey there. I love getting comments on my blog... a lot. I want to know your thoughts, and receiving messages from my readers makes me really happy.
but please would you
be polite • be kind • use no bad words
♥♥♥
thank you