25 Nov 2019

A Party From Out of This World

Last week Saturday, we threw a party for Reilly and Levi, two of my younger brothers. Reilly is currently ten and Levi is seven, but both of their birthdays are coming around this December and soon they'll be eleven and eight. So headquarters (the parents) decided to have their combined birthday party a month earlier, since there was more chance friends would be away on holiday come early to mid December. We set it all up in our house, and by the time everyone had arrived, the place was packed. But in a totally good way ;) The food was fabulous (my older sister is a talented chef, so there was no shortage of good food) and plentiful, there were kids everywhere and we had both a candyfloss and slushy machine running. I think it has already been implied (unless you don't like candyfloss or slushies- and in which case, I'd have to ask you, where is your inner child?), but I'll say it, it was fun.

I was the "photographer" (and by that I mean I took a few snapshots here and there in between chatting to people and eating brownies) and I got enough pictures to show y'all the basic theme and content of the party spread. The photos are bad quality, I know, and I apologize for it, but maybe you'll still be able to enjoy the whimsy of our alien/space/galactical get together through the digital representations I have for you here :)







Exhibit A, B, C and D are all of the super duper cool cake my sister (Perrin) thought up and constructed. The spaceship part of the cake came together smoothly and nicely, but we had had hopes of using fishing reel to tie the cow and stick it to the vase (the sucking up portal thingy. Please comment below if you know the actual term) to make it look as if the cow really was being levitated/lifted, but sadly that didn't work out. So, we settled for putting the cow on the board of butter icing lawn, where it stood as the unsuspecting and innocent character that would shortly be abducted by two little green creatures in a giant and sugary cake spaceship. Or, at least, that was how it was supposed to look, and I think it did the trick. Also, I can testify to the fact that the cake was entirely delicious and that despite being rather large, it was eaten up far too quickly for my liking. (I like leftovers, peeps)


A blurry shot of one of the lil birthday dudes, Levi, and the feast upon the table.


Reilly working the candyfloss machine while a queue of kids waiting for their cotton candy steadily grew. (again, who doesn't secretly, or better yet, openly still like this stuff, no matter how old they get?)


My personal favourite, due both to the way they tasted and because of the creativity that went into making them look amazing: galaxy brownie bites, topped with caramel panacotta/mousse stuff and sticky galaxy icing.


These were also a hit. My three sisters never run out energy to doodle, and you can see what I mean if you closely observe the different expressions and characters of the "alien faces" they drew with edible ink on these green alien brownies. People loved the diversity and humour of the illustrated faces.



And these perfectly in theme cookies were made by my lovely twelve-year-old sister, Mila. Not only did the rockets and stars go perfectly with the whole space/nebula feel, they were also very tasty. 




Mid party, we gathered everyone back to the dining room (it was nice and cozy, haha) to pray for and then sing for the boys. The two of them standing with my dad as he thanked everyone for coming and then prayed for them made for a very cute photo oppurtunity.


Reilly blew first...


...and Levi made a quick job of finishing up.


And then, at the end of the afternoon, there was a stunning rainbow falling in front of the mountainscape that could be seen from our front veranda. It was a lovely ending to the party and to me was a reminder of the might and intricate inventiveness of our God. He is the One from Whom all blessings flow, and to be able to gather together with friends and family and celebrate two of His precious children was indeed a blessing.

All in all, the party was an exciting occasion and the boys were thrilled by it. I didn't originally think to post about it here, but I had fun taking the pictures and reckoned there was no harm in sharing them with you guys. 

When was the last kid's party you were at, and did it have a theme? What was the best party you had as a kid? Let me know in a comment below. and have an astronomically great afternoon further. (Sorry. Puns are a weakness of mine)

9 comments:

  1. My mom used to love to throw me parties when I was little (I still have parties, but these had themes.) I had a rubber duck one, a snowman one, etc. etc. They were super cute and all the pictures are adorable!! I remember trying to make a snowman cake stand.... LOL. As you can probably guess, that didn't go as planned. These parties are so fun though.
    http://accordingtoisabellakate.blogspot.com
    -Izzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! The parties your mom threw for you sound amazing. Haha, that sounds like so much fun. Yeah, there's just a wonderful charm to a kid's party.

      Thanks for taking the time to read my post, Izzy :)

      Delete
  2. This is such a fun post! And the last photo *GASP*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so enjoyed reading about the party and hearing about the yummy food! What a great idea to have a candy floss machine and slushy machine...wow!
    Our last kiddies party was in June for Jason and he had an army themed party. Jordy made his huge tank cake...twice ....because the dog got stuck into the first one and I made army bags for the kids . Their sweeties were in there.
    My favourite party as a kid was held at a beach in Durban!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kerry!

      Oh, that sounds so cool! Wish I could have seen. Haha, shame man, I'm sorry for the dog/cake incident. But I love the idea of an army themed party.

      The beach party sounds so nice. Was it themed or just a get together on the beach?

      Delete
  4. Whoa, y'all did an amazing job! Happy birthday to your siblings. :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. The desserts looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete

hey there. I love getting comments on my blog... a lot. I want to know your thoughts, and receiving messages from my readers makes me really happy.
but please would you
be polite • be kind • use no bad words
♥♥♥
thank you